NSW Buying Brother's Half a Property - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

gogomobile

6 March 2017
Hi,

My brother and I own half a property each. He wants to sell his half to me. What do we need to do under property law? Do we need a lawyer and do I have to pay stamp duty?

Arche

20 March 2015
Hi

Yes you really must go through the proper formal processes of property sale and this involves having a contract drawn up by a solicitor or conveyancer. You need to do this to ensure the property is registered in your name. Sometimes people think because it is family they don't need to do all this. Do not fall into this trap.

Yes as far as I know you will need to pay stamp duty on half the market value (not the sale price) of the property.

Reactions: gogomobile

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
To add to what Mary said, you will most likely need to provide valuation evidence to the Office of State Revenue as part of the stamping process. If you're undertaking this process by yourself, check their website for what you will need: Evidentiary requirements | Office of State Revenue

Reactions: gogomobile