VIC Breach of Orders in Family Law - What Will Happen?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Skyleigh

29 November 2018
What happens if someone is in breach of orders in regulations of 21C of the family law regulations 1984?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Seek a contravention and an order for declaration of parentage.

Men do not get to escape scot-free by avoiding court orders. Could possibly be done for contempt of court. The court may instead threaten the person with contempt and give them an extra period in which to comply before making a finding of contempt and parentage and making a costs order against them.

Do you have a lawyer?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Costs order is where the other person pays some or all of your costs for going back to court in a contravention application. This is not your entire costs from the start, just for the contravention.

I get it that lawyers can be busy with court and other clients. This is not a time sensitive matter and court orders for child support can be backdated up to 7 years so don't panic.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
For my info, what region of Vic are you in? I don't want a precise location, just a general area.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
OK. Post back here if you have problems after a reasonable period of time and I can give a link to my email address.