NSW blocked shared sewer line, neighbours brick wall collapsing onto my property, front dividing fence broken by tenants

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Janice

17 June 2018
I am a grandmother and for the past 19 years live in the adjoining semi detached house owned by Toby Greene GWS Giants player in Drummoyne which he purchased in September 2017.
In 2018 Toby had 2 female tenants in his property and they blocked the shared sewer line with hygiene products and dog poo.
I was attacked by their dog and left lying on the footpath in front of my home on the street. The tenant just picked up her dog and went inside Toby’s house and closed the front door. I had to crawl up the front stairs and ring the local Police and Council for assistance. Due to privacy laws I was unable (and didn’t know) to find the owner of the property.
Another GWS Player (at that time) and his family were also in the property from September 2019 to September 2021. They blocked the shared sewer with baby wipes.
At that time Toby’s other side timber boundary fence had fallen down onto his house and my plumber due to OH&S could not gain access into Toby’s side yard to unblock the shared sewer line from the sewer pit in his property.
My bathroom toilet had to be dismantled to gain access to the sewer line in my home under the floor for the problem caused by Toby’s tenants.
It took me months to receive a share of the payment that I paid to clear their baby wipes out of the shared sewer line.
The now current tenants have blocked the shared sewer line, it has now been blocked since October 2022. I have the tenant’s sewage, hygiene products and dog poo backing up into my toilet every day.
Two of the 20 year old tenants arrived on my door step in November last year and said it’s not their issue and refused to do anything as they had only been there 5 weeks.
I have sent emails to the GWS Giants Club in November, who said they had bought the issue up with Toby but were unable to help.
The tenants up until 6 weeks ago were having loud drunken parties until 5am every Saturday night/Sunday morning. When I yelled out, they had the hide to crank their music up and play “ Helen Reddy” “ I am Woman”.
They have numerous dogs in the house at many times and in the backyard. When the dogs are inside the house and no one is at home they are barking at me walking inside my hallway and backyard for hours on end.
A section of side timber boundary fence in between the semis at the front has been broken off since the last party next door. This has left exposed rusty nails, and the fence is sitting on Toby’s front lawn.
There is a large tree in Toby’s backyard (over 3m) which has uprooted the rear side brick backyard wall near the boundary (on Toby’s side). This wall is now collapsing into my backyard. It’s pushing my ballast stone BBQ wall across my backyard.
I have sent numerous text messages and photos to Toby and his managing agent.
My plumber said he would be here all the time clearing the shared sewer line, which I can’t afford to pay for something and nor should I for something not caused by me. The tenants need to be aware of what they are putting into the sewer, and they don’t care.
Searches conducted did not find any other address for Toby, except for next door to me, which he has not lived there since 2018 for a brief period of time.
I contacted Sydney Water who told me it is a civil matter.
In August I contacted the Department of Fair Trading who told me to contact the Community Justice Centre.
I then contacted CJC. CJC have mailed 3 letters to Toby c/ GWS Giants Club address on 16 August, 28 August & 7 September. CJC have had no response to any of the 3 letters from Toby Greene.
On Monday 28 August I saw around 5 people from a real estate visit the tenants in Toby’s house.
I called the real estate to speak to the Director. A lady answered my call, I told her I wanted to speak to the Director, she kept saying he was unavailable. I asked if Toby’s house was for sale and she said that was the intention. She said the tenants have to move out first (mid October)
I told her there are issues with damage to my property which Toby has not fixed/repaired which needed to be resolved. Toby had been served with 2 letters at that time and had not responded to them. She asked me at least 6 times for my solicitors’ name and phone number as she wanted to call them. I said you don’t even have a contract for sale and you are asking me for my solicitor details. I said that I was making the agency aware as the intended real estate agent for a sale, of the issues that need to be fixed. I said the issues are not resolved I’m going to the media and/or lodging a caveat on the property.
Within 5 minutes of hanging up from her call Toby text messaged me with a photo of the rear brick wall and asking if the agent could come and have a look. I texted back “yes”. I texted “the sewer is still blocked” He texted “had the plumber look at that it can’t be from my tenants”, he said “I complained about this before and been checked” (I don’t know when?)
I’ve had no issues for 13 years until all his tenants (from 2018) dogs, noise, baby wipes and hygiene products blocking the shared sewer line.
I have heard nothing since Friday 1 September.
Tuesday 12 September I received a letter from the CJC stating they are unable to proceed as Toby has not replied to any of their 3 letters.
CJC have told me to contact Law Access.
I have contacted the local council, who told me to contact the Land & Environment Court.
This current issue with the tenants has been going on for 11 months, where I am bucketing their poo, dog poo and hygiene products out of my toilet daily and disposing of.
What can I do to get this all fixed, timber front fence, back side brick wall and sewer issues? (not at my expense)
This is absolutely appalling for someone on a $6 million dollar contract.

Attachments

• brick wall.jpg
    brick wall.jpg
    872.5 KB · Views: 0
  • expose rusty nail front side boundary fence.jpg
    expose rusty nail front side boundary fence.jpg
    760.6 KB · Views: 0
  • side boundary fence panel missing.jpg
    side boundary fence panel missing.jpg
    633.3 KB · Views: 0