Bankruptcy due implied trust.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Skateboard

22 June 2017
My partner was joint tenants in a property in Melbourne with her brother who is property investor, he mortgaged the property for 4 million. The property was sold 6 years ago and my partner received $900,000 which was half of what was left after the mortgage was paid out. The mortgage was used to buy other investment properties in her brothers name. She trusted her brother to give her the other 2 million she was owed. Her relationship with her deteriorated and her brother claimed that the $900,000 was his as well. My partner became very depressed as her mother was in patalive care and died. Her father then also became depressed. My partner ignored the court proceedings and the Victorian Supreme court ruled in her absence in a default judgement that she owes my brother the remaining $900.000. Can she appeal the Supreme Court decision so she doesn’t go bankrupt and can you recommend a lawyer to take the case.