QLD Australian Consumer Law - Unpaid Invoice of More Than Six Months?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

SeanTwig

3 May 2018
Hi all,

I am writing this in a last attempt to collect some information regarding this subject.

I own a pool business and we were contracted by a customer to assess his chlorinator and quoted him on the costs to repair/replace. We removed the chlorinator and sent it for assessment to some chlorinator experts and they advised that it needed a replacement cell. (For those that are unaware, a chlorinator cell is the part that produces chlorine to sanitise a pool, so it's rather important that it be in working order).

After getting word back from the chlorinator experts, I wrote an email to the customer informing him of the costs of the repairs (cell replacement) and gave him options that if he did not want to go ahead with repairs, we can install a new unit. He wrote back that we must please go ahead with the repairs.

Once repairs were done I emailed him to inform him and he then said that we must please install it for him. This was not the initial agreement as we normally charge a call out fee but for this case we said that we would just install it as it would have taken only 10 mins or so.

This was done in September of 2017. Invoices were sent shortly thereafter and after a few weeks of no payment, we tried calling, emailing, and sending statements of account. We received no reply to either of these.

We have now sent physical copies of both the invoice and the statement with an attached letter detailing the 7 day payment that is stated on the invoice, along with a final payment deadline. After there was no reply to this after a month we sent a final letter giving 7 more days for payment otherwise legal action will be taken.

Because law courts are expensive, we probably will end up paying more than was initially owed. What I would like to know is whether we have the right to go onto the property and remove the chlorinator cell from the housing. I have heard that even if they have not paid for it, if it is on their property the product becomes theirs so we cannot remove it. I have also heard that you may not remove it but you are entitled to sabotage/destroy the items that have not been paid for.

Any help or enlightenment regarding Australian Consumer Law would be amazing as right now I am in the dark as to the correct procedures.

Thanks in advance,

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Do not go onto their property and do not remove/sabotage/destroy anything.

You're entitled to be paid. Look at taking the matter to QCAT yourself - it's designed for cases exactly like yours, they don't generally allow legal representation so they're good for self-represented litigants, and there's generally no costs. There's a filing fee based on how much you're claiming, but you can add it to the amount you're seeking. Look at www.qcat.qld.gov.au.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
OP - I understand where you are coming from. Yes, you can do something along the lines you are proposing but it is not advisable.

It may cost you more in damages because you can cause more consequential damages by your actions than what the item is worth, and unless you get a good lawyer who knows how to properly defend you against trespass and criminal damage you run a high risk of severe penalties. It is possible to get off, but do you really want to take that chance you may catch a magistrate on a bad day?

Risk/reward analysis seems to indicate QCAT is the cheaper option, and magistrates court is better for the satisfying option where you make him pay some of your legal costs.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
FYI - your terms of trade should clearly say you retain ownership of property until fully paid, on both quotes and invoices.

SeanTwig

3 May 2018
Hi and thanks for the advice.

We have just taken over the business in July 2017 so we are still finding our feet. As it comes into the winter months we will be putting in place things that will cover ourselves from these things in the future.

I will have a look at the QCAT option. I am also new to the country coming up to my 5th year here so a lot of these procedures are different from the other places I have lived.

I am not sure, but I have heard that sending debt collectors the person who is being collected from will pay the debt collectors fees as well as the fees for the products purchased. Is this at all true?

Thanks again for your help.
Sean