child protection

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
Child protection is the safeguarding of children from violence, exploitation, abuse, and neglect. Article 19 of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child provides for the protection of children in and out of the home. One of the ways to ensure this is by giving them quality education, the fourth of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, in addition to other child protection systems.

Child protection systems are a set of usually government-run services designed to protect children and young people who are underage and to encourage family stability. UNICEF defines a ‘child protection system’ as: the set of laws, policies, regulations and services needed across all social sectors – especially social welfare, education, health, security and justice – to support prevention and response to protection-related risks. These systems are part of social protection, and extend beyond it. At the level of prevention, their aim includes supporting and strengthening families to reduce social exclusion, and to lower the risk of separation, violence and exploitation. Responsibilities are often spread across government agencies, with services delivered by local authorities, non-State providers, and community groups, making coordination between sectors and levels, including routine referral systems etc.., a necessary component of effective child protection systems.

View More On
  1. M

    WA Abuse by Mother Substantiated by Child Protection - What to Do?

    My granddaughter was removed by Child Protection and Family Support after allegations of child abuse whilst in the mother's care. This was serious abuse resulting in the then 14-month-old having 5 fractures, including a compression fracture to her vertebrae. My son and his ex partner had been...
  2. S

    SA Legal Aid - Grandparents Wanting Access to 2-year-old Grandson?

    I will try and keep this short. After a communication breakdown with my daughter, I have not been able to see my 2-year-old grandson for 4 1/2 months. Previous to that, we had looked after him in our home from birth every 2nd or 3rd night for a 24 hour period, and in the last year, every week...
  3. Y

    NSW Child Safe Standards NSW

    Dear All,. Could I please ask if NSW out of homecare children (OOHC) and long term Foster Carers who have been denied the entirety of their NSW Children's Safe Standards and Children's Charter of Rights, being Standards Acts: 1 to 15 and being 153 rights in total in order to Forcibly Remove...
  4. L

    NSW Subpoena for Confidential Documents?

    Hi, I want to know if you can be subpoenaed for records of confidential notifications made to the Family and Community services child protection helpline, identifying a child being at risk? The subpoena has come from a solicitor of one of the children's parents. I understand police subpoenaing...
  5. Ineedhelp

    SA Corruption in Child Protection (perjury)

    Hey all, Mum, who suspected ex was sexually abusing children, took kids interstate after finding out her ex raped her sister as a child. Dad has been charged with 2 counts of r**e and 2 counts of child abuse from Mum, and 1 count of r**e from sister. DCP was involved under family safety plan...
  6. C

    QLD Narcissistic Filipino Ex-Partner - Domestic Violence, Visa and Passport

    Hi everyone, Firstly I wish to thank you in advance for taking the time to read my question. I have been through hell and back twice only to find myself without any contact with my nearly 2-year-old son who she has sent overseas to the Philippines. I will not go into detail as the events of...
  7. J

    VIC How to Take Child Protection Order Back to Court?

    Hi :) I need help and someone to point me in the right direction. My children were staying at my parents for the weekend. In that time, my home was deliberately lit on fire. Thank god it was put out when it was or my children and I wouldn't have a home. The following week, I received a phone...
  8. S

    NSW Does DHS Have Jurisdiction to Force a Drug Test?

    I have a question in regard to DHS child protection. The children have been restored into my care and I have parental care of them. DHS has a supervision order in place until November. Due to sale of my home, I have had to move interstate with their consent. I am asking what jurisdiction do...
  9. T

    QLD What if Mother Can't Speak in Family Court?

    Hello. To keep a long story short the basics are: There are two children from a 7-year marriage. We separated in 2013. Multiple attempts at mediation. The most recent mediation is cancelled by RA with ongoing calls to check on mother's welfare/safety and referred to other sources. Mother is...
  10. R

    VIC Brother Punched by Mum's Boyfriend - Who to Call Besides Police?

    3 days ago my mother's boyfriend of 6 months was very drunk with my mum and the boyfriend punched my 14-year-old brother in the face. We have told the police and they aren't doing much about it. Should I call anyone else about this situation? My little brother is safe with me now but I'm not...