NSW Non-Delivery of Purchased Bitcoins from Bitxoin

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Josh

29 June 2014
Damn.... Sounds very shifty. Perhaps he is into money laundering.

Josh

29 June 2014
Anyone in QLD paid a visit to his office?

Is it possible for me to go to the bank i deposited and ask them to reverse the transaction? Can i claim i just put it in the wrong account? I deposited cash over counter at a commonwealth bank

Josh

29 June 2014
The bit that screams suss to me is the website remaining open to take more orders....

Jordansorb

1 July 2014
Yeah i don't understand why he wouldn't shut down the site if these problems have been going on for so long. Why would you keep taking orders if they couldn't be fulfiled?

If only getbitcoin didn't run out of coins...

jamesq

2 July 2014
I'm going into the bank to see what can be done maybe if a few complaints are put they may at least stop others depositing cash... In hindsight the incorrect spelling of below as blow in the email with his bank details is a bit suss

Josh

29 June 2014
Yeah for the sake of potential new customers also losing cash. Obviously the banks dont like bitcoin services so ive heard from a reputable source they quite often freeze the accounts of buyers and sellers.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi jamesq,
Unfortunately, you are unlikely to be successful in requesting a reversal of a transfer between two (2) Australian bank accounts unless you can clearly prove that there was a bank error.

Westpac's Online Banking terms and conditions are similar to those for all Australian banks:
Westpac is unable to verify account details for non-Westpac accounts. Should the details you have entered prove to be incorrect, in most cases the payment (or individual credit) will return to your account within 48 hours. As this return is made by the other financial institution, it does not come via Online Banking and you will not be notified. Nor will the status of the payment change. For this reason, please be careful when sending funds to third party accounts, and as a matter of course, check your transaction lists regularly for any returned credits.

Westpac cannot reverse transactions you make in error, either to Westpac or non-Westpac accounts. Should an amount sent by you in error not be returned automatically by the receiving financial institution, it may not be recoverable at all.

I also found this interesting news article from Victoria earlier this week - "Brighton father fights ANZ to get $100,000 stolen by hacker".

jamesq

2 July 2014
[Moderator Note: Removed inflammatory comment per Community Guidelines.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jordansorb

Josh

29 June 2014
The most effective thing at the moment to do is spread the word and publically burn the image bitxoin has. Business usually react hastily to public bad press