SA Other Party Uncooperative - Reimbursement of Costs?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

IDS

18 August 2016
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has written up an itinerary for child visitation?

The other parent has requested a full itinerary of visitation. I'm not sure how detailed it should be or what the format should look like.

If anyone has written one up before or could help with how specific it could be, that would be great.

Second query -

The other party has also made a scene of delaying the court process wherever possible. They failed to respond to papers served on them in time, refused to agree or negotiate on anything in mediation and keeps going back on their word as soon as the hearing starts.

There have been three hearings so far, all adjourned with no interim orders in place other than an order that I go interstate so visit my child.

Given that the other parent is refusing to negotiate and keeps setting us back (we had a full parenting plan worked out and agreed upon in mediation then at next hearing they refused all terms), could I look to getting some kind of reimbursement of costs under family law?

Reactions: Timnuts

sammy01

27 September 2015
Getting a cost order is possible, but you really want to get to the final trial first. So send the ex an itinerary of when you plan to pick up child and drop off child and the location of the pick up / drop off. Ask for a response and give a reasonable time frame - 3-4 days.

Did you move away from child? Or did the other parent move the child interstate? How old is the kid? What sort of access are you wanting over the holidays? Where will you be staying?

Look all you have to do is tell the other parent when and where pick up's will be, but telling them where you're taking the child isn't a bad idea - you have no obligation - but if you want to see your child then ask yourself is it a fight worth having?

IDS

18 August 2016
The other parent took the child interstate. Trying to negotiate on half of every school holidays, alternate Christmas etc. Long history of the other parent withholding the child.

Our child is five, I will be staying at a caravan park a half hour from the other parent's house

I'm not sure what you mean by is it a fight worth having

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
I think Sammy is referring to the full itinerary. Usually you are not required to provide the other parent with such a thing. But for the sake of saving yourself a fight with the other parent and potentially them using it as an excuse to withhold the child, write something up.

If I were you, I'd write the date and what you plan on doing that day. So something like:

26 December 2016

10am - Visiting grandparents and exchanging Christmas presents. Having lunch.
5pm - Return to caravan park and cook meal together.

27 December 2016

Swim and BBQ at caravan park.
6pm - Fishing off the jetty.

etc etc. Personally, I wouldn't go into any more detail. They probably just want to know your day to day movements not when you plan on getting out of bed, brushing teeth, bathing child etc.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Yep, what she said. Just fill in a whole lot of BS to make her feel like you're being compliant.

IDS

18 August 2016
Oh okay, I'm not fussed about writing more details to save an argument, it's not like I have anything to hide. I had intended to put a few planned activities for each day but as our kid is young it's hard to plan to far ahead, not being familiar with the surrounding suburbs. Also wondering if I state I will be going to the jetty to fish for example on one day at one time but my child decides they want to see a movie instead or it rains or something, would that be as simple as letting the other parent know or would I have to formally inform the court? Would there be repercussions or is it just a simple matter?

Not planning on making any changes but these things can happen especially when a young child may tire towards the end of the day and not want to participate in a particular activity

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
I'm guessing it's not court ordered that you provide such an itinerary? Just a demand from the other parent?

Plans with kids always go astray. We all know that. I'd just do a rough plan and if you feel like it you could write down the bottom something like "plans subject to change depending on the weather or child's needs at the time".

Is there any reason the other parent needs to know your every move? The only things I can think of are that the child is still breastfed or the child has medical requirements that only the other parent is able to carry out and therefore would need to plan their own time to be in close proximity to the child.

sammy01

27 September 2015
I would not go overboard - just when you plan to pick up kid, when you plan to drop off kid and the address where you'll be staying with the kid. If they want more, then deal with that after he/she requests it.