Video Game streaming on youtube?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

DaleA76

25 September 2016
Hello,

Can some one that knows copyright law please tell me answer to my question:

I want to start a youtube channel were I basically review games and play games and provide commentary while I do so.

Surely I don't have to get permission to use game footage from every single software company for every single different game I am going to play and upload do I?

I asked 2 friends and one said: You are alright because it's fair use? I'm not sure what that is... I asked another friend and they said no because its copyrighted, but then I don't understand how are all these other people, including big name people doing it on youtube? Also the other big sites like Twitch where the entire site is based around people streaming games?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Review and criticism of a copyrighted work is permitted as 'fair dealing' under section 41 of the Copyright Act, so long as you give sufficient acknowledgment of the work. The easiest way to do this is to specifically state from the outset something like, "I'm reviewing [name of game] by [name of game publisher]".

Reactions: Kim Walters

RebeccaOgden

20 October 2020
I also have my own YouTube channel, but I've never encountered anything like this. Try to see on this site inversegamer.com ,so what games you can play and still not get deleted. I've never had a video deleted, maybe because not enough people watched me, maybe more of you. Try to write them on gmail that I can advertise your game, and you do not delete my streams, that's all, just like that. Otherwise, your streams will be deleted, this work is a very difficult guy and has its own problems. So the only way you can do that is to write to the company in person.

goldenreels

1 April 2021
When I made my YouTube channel, I had a problem with the content, it was the Golden Reels channel, as it is for adults, but I did not understand it. I have not yet contacted the company in person.

LostEcho

3 April 2023
Hey there! I know this post is a bit old, but I wanted to chime in with my two cents in case it's still relevant. Well, the answer is yes and no. It depends on the situation. If you're using game footage for commentary or criticism, then it's likely fair use and you don't need permission.

LostEcho

3 April 2023
Hey there! I know this post is a bit old, but I wanted to chime in with my two cents in case it's still relevant. Well, the answer is yes and no. It depends on the situation. If you're using game footage for commentary or criticism, then it's likely fair use and you don't need permission. However, if you're using game footage for commercial purposes, then you probably need permission. It's also important to check with the game's software company to make sure you're not infringing on any copyrights. As for the other people streaming games on YouTube and Twitch, they may have permission or they may be relying on fair use. It's hard to know without asking them directly. Anyway, I hope this helps. Oh, and if you're looking for ways to make 100 dollars fast, you might want to check out online surveys, freelance gigs, or even selling your stuff on eBay. Good luck!