Using quotes or phrases in commercial products

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Elliott

18 May 2019
I am looking into establishing a new business that sells a variety of products (t-shirts, mugs, homewares etc) featuring dog-themed phrases, such as the following:

"I apologise to my dog when I go out"
or
"When I need a hand I found your paw"

As far as I can tell, these phrases can't be attributed to anyone in particular, so are there any potential IP issues with using the phrases for commercial purposes?

I did find a few instances of similar phrases being trademarked, such as "Hug your dog", however possibly this was a trademark over the design as opposed to the phrase?

Thanks in advance,
Elliott

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Reactions: Tim W

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
And yes, phrases can be trademarks.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
That just means it's not a registered trade mark. It doesn't mean that it's not in use by someone else. You'd have to do research in your market to determine that. If someone else is using it, you could face a claim of passing off if you tried to use the phrase in a similar way.

Elliott

18 May 2019
That just means it's not a registered trade mark. It doesn't mean that it's not in use by someone else. You'd have to do research in your market to determine that. If someone else is using it, you could face a claim of passing off if you tried to use the phrase in a similar way.

Okay, thanks for taking the time to respond, I will do some further research.