SA Solar Panels Rental Contract and Payout Figure?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Chuck56

26 February 2015
Hi there,

I recently applied for a payout figure for my solar panels system which is on a rent to buy contract.

12 months prior I had paid $10,000 towards the total rental period to lower my monthly payment.
At that time I had been quoted approx. $18,000 as a payout figure which was out of my reach.

The current payout figure was given at $16,797, which included a 20% early payout discount, which equated to $4,199, but they hadn't factored in the $10,000.
Consequently I informed them of such and they reissued a new payout figure of $8505, which didn't include an early payout discount.

This didn't quite figure and when I inquired they stated since the $10,000 payment the payments were reduced to a flat rate rather than the rent to buy rates and didn't qualify for a discount.

Could anyone suggest what is happening here under Australian Consumer Law as it seems to me I am being taken for a ride.

Thanks
Chuck

Amanda E

9 April 2014
What does the contract say about early payout discount? (Why did you get the early payout discount in the first place if it wasn't in the contract?)

Chuck56

26 February 2015
Hi Amanda,

The contract doesn't mention anything about early payout discount, but I have a payout calculation worksheet with it included, the one I received before they realised I had already payed $10,000.