NSW Right to Use Pictures of Our Premises on Our Website?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sammy85s

27 November 2014
Hi all, we have just started a small business in which we have setup a website using the graphic of our premises. We install roller doors and of course there are roller doors on our factory. The company that installed the doors wants us to take down the picture but it's our own building. They don't have the right to proceed against us under intellectual property law, do they?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
What do they say they will do if you do not?

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Don't think they have much ground. If you bought the roller door then you also bought the rights to use and roller door, including taking photographs of it and putting it on your website. It may be good business practice to include something on your website that says the roller door on your building is provided by x company, or another company, so that you're not passing off.

Sammy85s

27 November 2014
Thanks Tim- they have given us 24 hours notice until proceeding with legal action I just wanted to know if they had a case.
Thanks Sarah- that's what I was thinking I don't want to have to list who supplied the doors to my building they are in direct opposition to me. However where does it end list the person who supplied roof? Paint?

DennisD

11 July 2014
Is this correct, that your business is installing roller doors, and at your business factory premises you have roller doors that were installed by your competitor?

Sammy85s

27 November 2014
Is this correct, that your business is installing roller doors, and at your business factory premises you have roller doors that were installed by your competitor?
Yes that is correct.

The roller doors were installed by my husband when he worked for the company A. He has since left company A & started a new business company B whose premises we now reside.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Would have thought the context around the picture is important. Is it showing where you are located and what your premises look like from the street, or is the image part of the 'work' your company has done.

Sammy85s

27 November 2014
Would have thought the context around the picture is important. Is it showing where you are located and what your premises look like from the street, or is the image part of the 'work' your company has done.
It is a close up of our building including 5 doors & office structure.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
It is a close up of our building including 5 doors & office structure.
That's the image itself.

What is the context of the image? Is it to show your location? or showcase your work?