QLD Retaining wall and Fencing

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jerry21

22 October 2022
Hi,
Thanks in advance!
I just like to ask an advise for 2 things we live at Queensland.
1). Our block is situated on a corner block and the Developer cut it in a way that the retaining walls on our rear and left side ( neighbors side ) would not be higher than 1m which the retaining would be shouldered by us the owners and anything higher than 1m should be done by the developer. On our rear side, our neighbors builder backfill their block instead of cutting it making their block higher than 1meter and higher than what the original cut of the land is which made it around 200-300 higher from the 1 meter that it should be. My question is, with the retaining wall to be installed do we have to shoulder all the amount being that if we do, we have to get engineering/drafting to have a higher retaining wall for it or does our neighbor have to pay for it as their builders made their block higher than us costing us more money to get our side retained?
2). We had our fence installed and we got our neighbor on that rear side to organise it being that their build got done before us. We had shared the amount that they sent us knowing that it would cover the length up to our border. When the fence got installed we saw that the fence is missing around 5m. And didnt cover the whole length that we expected. Our neighbor told us that they were surprised as well that it wasnt done up to the border and told us that they will share the amount when we organise the building of the remaining 5m fence. The problem now is that when I gave them the amount for the fence they are not keen to share as they see the quote a bit expensive but I told them that I think it is because it is sloping and had to get a bit of a wall done and have the fence to sit on top ( as per the person that I got the quote with) I had ask them to get another quote and we could probably discuss that amount they will get. The thing that Set me a bit off is that they are now telling me that the build for the wall should just be shouldered by us as they dont have an exact benefit for it. As per the question that I ask earlier it wouldnt be that too complicated if their builder did not backfill their block and cut their block sloping making the fence and the wall difficult in our side. Are they right when they told us that we should shoulder the amount for the wall to get installed? And we planned to build a retaining wall on our border should it be shouldered by us or should they share or have an amount for us to build a higher retaining wall? Thanks for your advise