NSW Inheritance and bankruptcy

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Toma

27 September 2018
I want to know if i have rigt to decline any inheritance during my bankruptcy so my portion will go to other beneficiaries in order to prevent my share being taken by my trustee
Thanks

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
No. To decline it you must first have the right to partake in it. While you are bankrupt, all of your estate is vested in the bankruptcy trustee and it is their decision to make.

Any attempt to do so can be considered an attempt to defraud creditors - and the charge can be made against you and the executors of the estate.

Penalties can be stiff - up to 5 year imprisonment for concealing with intent to defraud creditors.

Toma

27 September 2018
What would happen if my father listed my sister and brother as the only beneficiaries.
I know i trust them and they will give my part once i discharged.

Can trustee still claim anything even if i am not listed as beneficiary?
Thanks

Toma

27 September 2018
What would happen if my father listed my sister and brother as the only beneficiaries.
I know i trust them and they will give my part once i discharged.

Can trustee still claim anything even if i am not listed as beneficiary?
Thanks

QUOTE="Rob Legat - SBPL, post: 68461, member: 14710"]No. To decline it you must first have the right to partake in it. While you are bankrupt, all of your estate is vested in the bankruptcy trustee and it is their decision to make.

Any attempt to do so can be considered an attempt to defraud creditors - and the charge can be made against you and the executors of the estate.

Penalties can be stiff - up to 5 year imprisonment for concealing with intent to defraud creditors.[/QUOTE]
No. To decline it you must first have the right to partake in it. While you are bankrupt, all of your estate is vested in the bankruptcy trustee and it is their decision to make.

Penalties can be stiff - up to 5 year imprisonment for concealing with intent to defraud creditors.