VIC how does Copywrite apply to course curriculums?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
7 July 2020
Hi!

I want to make an online video series about covering media studies, I've been looking at the Melbourne uni curriculum and was thinking to use it in conjunction with curriculums from other public unis (like Swinburne or RMIT) to form a sort of Frankenstein's monster curriculum to make media studies more accessible since there's gonna be a price hike soon (obviously nobody would get a degree from a free video series but it's better than nothing so I thought why not)

I was just wondering if this is illegal or not? I'm planning to use it as a guideline or checklist so I know what to cover and I'm assuming that I'm allowed to since it's a state-funded university and also the information is publicly available but I just wanted to be sure haha

thanks in advance for taking the time to read this, I hope I gave enough info above but feel free to ask if I forgot to mention something important
stay safe and have a nice day!

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Curricula (and all related and derived documents such as Course Guides, handbooks, etc)
are certainly literary works in which copyright accrues to the institution(s) that publish(es) them.

That they are publicly available is not the same thing as being in the public domain.

7 July 2020
Curricula (and all related and derived documents such as Course Guides, handbooks, etc)
are certainly literary works in which copyright accrues to the institution(s) that publish(es) them.

That they are publicly available is not the same thing as being in the public domain.

ah thanks for your help, that makes sense :)👍👍