VIC Executor of Will Delaying Distribution - Time Limit to Distribution?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Diabolos1

25 November 2015
My father passed away a year ago, in Nov 14. He wrote a will and appointed my sister the executor of will. (Note that she is also a beneficiary) She has applied and received the probate and opened up a new account. All beneficiaries agreed to sell the assets (all shares) for a specified price in July.

1st, the trench was sold in August. Funds were distributed only in October. We agreed on a sale price for the remaining shares last month, and ever since I have messaged her and called her, but she does not respond or reply.

It has been a year already and she believes that she has no time limit and she will do it when she has time. She has not provided a timeframe and ignores all questions.

Does she have a time limit as there are economical costs for those funds?

Also, is she breaching her duty as an executor by ignoring me, as the beneficiary and not providing any timeframes?

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
Hi

No there is no specified time that distribution must occur. Just a reasonable amount of time. This is because each estate is different an some can take years.
12 months isn't considered extreme and the only way to force their hand is through the court.
The executor has obligations, unfortunately being understanding of the need the beneficiaries to be kept informed is not one of them.