QLD Delaying signing of property contract

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

48cally

2 May 2018
Hi,
My ex partner offered to buy my share of the house in November 2017, we finally came up with an agreement, the he wanted to change it, 4 times now and 2 weeks ago he agreed to sign then said I have to sign first so signed and sent it to his conveyance lawyer . Now he says it does not reflect what he wrote in his email. But has given no information to what is wrong. I really want to know if anyone has experienced this situation. He is living in the house so really no reason to pay out my share.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Is the title of the property in both names? Are you sure?

Just be very clear on whatever it is you are signing, else it could be a very costly mistake.

If property prices are going up and you can afford a delay, your $ amount should increase as 6 months has gone by. Get another valuation done.

If property prices are going down, or you need the money, maybe tell him if he can't make up his mind in the next 30 days you'll apply to court to have the property sold. This doesn't need his agreement but you'll need a lawyer to request the correct orders.

48cally

2 May 2018
Hi Rod,
Thank you for your valued help, each week he has made a new reason to stop the sale, all documents are with his lawyer since March, he wrote and now says the documents don't reflect his agreement. I believe it is a stall tactic unfortunately.The property is in my name and our 2 children, nothing is in his name.
thanks again

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Reactions: 48cally

48cally

2 May 2018
Hi Rod, I have a conveyance lawyer only, yesterday I was told he has delayed to keep offering less payout as I need the payout to return home.
Home is not in trust ,we paid him out.Thats why he has to pay both the loan and me.