NSW Commercial Law - Limitation Period to Claim Losses?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ricky1905

13 January 2016
Hi,

I am looking for some assistance regarding the limitation period to claim for losses.

In particular, the circumstances are surrounding a financial product. This product was inherently defective from its inception, with the losses accruing from day one. The product is a clear case of Deceptive and Misleading conduct, however, the losses were only found out post the 6 year limitation period. This is because the product had a lifespan of 7 years, with full transparency only becoming available after 7 years.

Therefore I am interested to know any commercial law precedents of:

1) cases that have been barred from litigation due to the limitation period when the losses that accrued were only realised after the limitation period. IE: being barred from a claim before even knowing one has a claim.
2) cases where they have been brought out of the limitation lockout period?

Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction.

Regards,

Serge Gorval

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
2 November 2015
Sydney
lawtap.com
Iit depends on your claim of action as your limitation period commences from the date of the breach/cause of action.

2 come to mind, a breach of contract claim on the basis of misrepresentation or breach of ACL which is a statutory claim.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
In Vic the period can begin from when you found out, or ought to have found out. Not sure about NSW.