- Australia's #1 Legal Community is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

NSW Commercial Law - Limitation Period to Claim Losses?

Discussion in 'Commercial Law Forum' started by Ricky1905, 25 July 2016.

Find a Lawyer Form
Find a Lawyer Form
Find a Lawyer Form
  1. Ricky1905

Ricky1905 Member

13 January 2016
    I am looking for some assistance regarding the limitation period to claim for losses.

In particular, the circumstances are surrounding a financial product. This product was inherently defective from its inception, with the losses accruing from day one. The product is a clear case of Deceptive and Misleading conduct, however, the losses were only found out post the 6 year limitation period. This is because the product had a lifespan of 7 years, with full transparency only becoming available after 7 years.

Therefore I am interested to know any commercial law precedents of:

1) cases that have been barred from litigation due to the limitation period when the losses that accrued were only realised after the limitation period. IE: being barred from a claim before even knowing one has a claim.
    2) cases where they have been brought out of the limitation lockout period?

Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction.

2. Serge Gorval

Serge Gorval Well-Known Member

2 November 2015
    Iit depends on your claim of action as your limitation period commences from the date of the breach/cause of action.

2 come to mind, a breach of contract claim on the basis of misrepresentation or breach of ACL which is a statutory claim.
  3. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

27 May 2014
    In Vic the period can begin from when you found out, or ought to have found out. Not sure about NSW.