VIC co-executor refuses access to family documents

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sharon Cain

15 September 2017
As a co-executor (with my sister) in my mother's estate, my sister had refused my access to any of my mother's belongings, including birth, death and marriage certificates. When the estate was financially settled, my sister solely decided who would be allowed (they were stored in her house which I was locked out of and refused entry) who would be to inherit certain items. Apart from the fact that what I received amounts to what no-one else wanted, it is my mother's personal documents that concern me. I have digital copies of birth, death and marriage, will and other documents but they are not legal documents. I have asked my sister (email) for certified copies of documents that allow me to apply for original copies of my own and also to establish ancestry for visa applications. Absolutely no reply from her and I have never received copies. Is there any avenue to pursue that would result in my either obtaining the original documents or certified copies of?
Thanks,
Sharon

Luiza

26 July 2017
Victoria
www.lslawconveyancing.com.au
You sister should provide you with copies of those documents, as requested. However, if you require birth, death or marriage certificates, you may also apply for them at the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages Victoria.