QLD Calling possible future employers

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Oscar028

12 April 2018
An employer called a possible future employer and informed them that they had just let go of a few employees and that the employees were trouble makers who were only after money. Is this classed as defamation?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Not if true.

May be interference with a business relationship.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
An employer called a possible future employer and informed them that they had just let go of a few employees and that the employees were trouble makers who were only after money. Is this classed as defamation?
Was it true?

aliabdoli

21 November 2021
Sorry, I am no lawyer, but I am a C-level manager who hires tens and tens of people continuously for a large firm.

This line made me laugh "who were only after money ". What kind of simpleton would not work for money? Almost everybody works for cash!

And "Trouble Maker" is too generic and too subjective. What is the trouble? Can they prove with sufficient evidence that you caused difficulty? Like you harassed someone, or you published the company's secret information? If that is just your ex-employer's perception and he/she has no evidence to prove it then he or she cannot say it about you.