Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
The Hague (/ðə ˈheɪɡ/; Dutch: Den Haag pronounced [dɛnˈɦaːx] or 's-Gravenhage pronounced [ˈsxraːvə(n)ˌɦaːɣə]) is a city on the western coast of the Netherlands, and the capital city of the province of South Holland.
With a population of 520,704 inhabitants (as of 1 April 2016) and more than one million inhabitants including the suburbs, it is the third-largest city of the Netherlands, after Amsterdam and Rotterdam. The Rotterdam The Hague Metropolitan Area, with a population of approximately 2.7 million, is the 12th-largest in the European Union and the most populous in the country. Located in the west of the Netherlands, The Hague is in the centre of the Haaglanden conurbation and lies at the southwest corner of the larger Randstad conurbation.
The Hague is the seat of the Dutch government, parliament, the Supreme Court, and the Council of State, but the city is not the capital of the Netherlands, which constitutionally is Amsterdam. Most foreign embassies in the Netherlands and 150 international organisations are located in the city, including the International Court of Justice and the International Criminal Court, which makes The Hague one of the major cities hosting the United Nations along with New York, Geneva, Vienna, Rome, and Nairobi. King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands plans to live at Huis ten Bosch and works at Noordeinde Palace in The Hague, together with Queen Máxima. The Hague is also home to the world headquarters of Royal Dutch Shell and numerous other major Dutch companies.

View More On Wikipedia.org
  1. T

    Serve Papers Internationally. Do I need the Hague or can I use certified Mail?

    I'm about to serve divorce papers from US to Victoria and am wondering if I can serve the papers through Certified Return mail instead of using the Hague. There seem to be 2 options: 1. Hague Convention - go through a 'Central Authority' and have a Sheriff hand over the divorce papers. 2. Use...
  2. J

    NSW appeal Hague convention

    My sons mother wants a condition of travel that I only go to Hague convention countries. I am in a position to take my son to Bali for 5 nights, a non Hague convention country. Now.. we have court orders in place but nothing about international travel but but now his mother wants that condition...