NSW appeal Hague convention

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

James07

13 January 2016
My sons mother wants a condition of travel that I only go to Hague convention countries. I am in a position to take my son to Bali for 5 nights, a non Hague convention country. Now.. we have court orders in place but nothing about international travel but but now his mother wants that condition, mediation is failing. All my family in Australia, I work in Government job for 18 years and have absolutely no ties in Bali.
Has anyone had success in not having this placed on them ?

Atticus

6 February 2019
Are you saying this is a condition of her agreeing to co sign a passport application for your son, or does he already have a passport?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Go to the Great Barrier reef. Cheaper than the BS you'll have to go through to get to go to Bali.

Mate I was in a similar situation a few yrs back. I paid for the passports and did all the paperwork but the passport needed the ex's signature and as she was the primary carer she had to pick them up. She refused to hand them over the whole thing was crazy stressful.... Darwin, Far north QLD New Zealand?

Migz

20 November 2016
Just tell her that you will pay a bond of $5,000 and that it is forfeited to her should the Child not return to Australia, within 3 days of the airline ticket arrival date...this is how most of these are resolved in court.

sammy01

27 September 2015
That is bad advice migz. If i paid my ex $5000 as a bond u can get she would not return the money....

Migz

20 November 2016
It doesn't go to her Sammy01, it goes to some trust of the courts...and when the ex was able to provide the court her documentation of the Child being back in the country she got her money back

sammy01

27 September 2015
Hey Migz, your first post said he could pay a bond of 5K. But you didn't explain how... And the only way you could get the courts to take the $$$ is by applying to court for permission to travel. You can't just walk into the court house and say 'hey, here is 5k give it to my ex if I'm not back in a wee. Old mate will have to apply to court, which will cost a small fortune and take 3-6 months to get to court.

Original poster - mate your ex just doesn't want you to travel with the kid. Nothing about Hague... Offer to go to NZ instead, she'll find some excuse to stop that one too. In my experience, it just isn't worth it. Not unless you've got a wad of cash to throw at this?