VIC Non-Refundable Deposit

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ixioncat

14 July 2019
Hi, and thank you for your advice. I wanted to build a carport on my property, and after some quotes I decided upon a company. Permits for such things are now not carried out through the council but by private contractors. Anyway, the company sent me a "pre contract deposit form" - this form advised me to fill in my details, and they provided the information for the independent building permit contractor within this form and a 10% deposit was asked for and my signature. The permit price was stipulated later by the independent building permit contractor through a separate email a day or so later, which I payed. Unfortunately, the council did not approve the placement of the carport, and so I have decided that I will wait and think about where else I may like to erect one or if to bother at all. After reading the "pre-contract deposit form" again, I realised there was an asterix next to the "10% deposit required ", that in tiny writing states "Deposit is non-refundable once permit application has been submitted". I do not understand how this can be legal when they have yet to carry out any construction or materials been bought as it was not even approved yet. Do I have any legal right to reclaim this deposit since the company have not had any monetary loses as of yet? Thanks

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Well, you say they haven't had any 'monetary losses' yet. However, bear in mind that there needs to be a degree of work down to be able to submit an application for a building permit. The 10% deposit is likely to be in consideration for that work performed.