WA Lawyer Fees - How to Respond to a Minor Case Claim?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Robin Chopra

20 November 2015
Hi, my ex-partner in business sent me a minor case claim around $45,000. How do I respond to it?

The amount and the claim he is asking are 99% invalid and he doesn't have any proof/agreements or any base.

What should I do? Do I have to defend it and get the lawyer to deal with it? Or do I do it myself? I haven't done it before and if I ask lawyer help, how much would the lawyers fee cost me? He was the one who was taking care of the accounts. I didn't have any clue.

Louise4007

8 November 2015
SA
Hi Robin

If this issue between yourself & ex business partner is beyond negotiating outside court you must, if you intend to represent yourself & defend the claim, lodge within the specified time, a 'response to claim form' & a 'statement of defence' form with the WA Magistrates Court.

If no defence is filed by you, the court will decide the matter.

Magistrates Court of Western Australia for more info or contact a lawyer to assist you with this.

Ask upfront for an estimate of lawyer costs if you decide on professional legal representation in this matter.