Homework Question - Legal Subject

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
4 May 2015
If I display prescription drugs with the price stated on each cardboard pack of drugs, I am making an offer to any customer who walks in. FALSE
There is no limit to the number of people that I can make an offer to. TRUE
There is no requirement for an intention to create legal relations in order for there to be a valid contract. (TRUE or FALSE)
In promissory estoppel there is no requirement for the promisor to unfairly break a promise. ( TRUE or FALSE)
For equitable estoppel to apply parties need not be in a contractual relationship. (TRUE or FALSE)
The common law has provided solutions to all situations. (TRUE or FALSE)
In the case of Donoghue v Stevenson the court held that the manufacturers of the ginger beer owed no duty of care to the plaintiff as no contract existed between the manufacturers and the plaintiff. TRUE
Historically, speaking legislation existed in Australia long before common law. The position is the reverse as far as the UK is concerned. (TRUE or FALSE)
The Australia Act 1986 (Cth) was passed in order for the States and Territories to maintain effective control of the Commonwealth.(TRUE or FALSE)
The Executive arm of the government in Australia is entrusted with the task of administering the laws of Australia TRUE

S

Sophea

If I display prescription drugs with the price stated on each cardboard pack of drugs, I am making an offer to any customer who walks in. FALSE
Correct - your support for this would be the case of Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain v Boots Court of Appeal [1953] 1 QB 401. You can read about it here: Australian Contract Law | Julie Clarke

There is no limit to the number of people that I can make an offer to. TRUE
Correct - its possible to make an offer to the world at large.

There is no requirement for an intention to create legal relations in order for there to be a valid contract. (TRUE or FALSE)
- FALSE this is a requirement for contract formation, for a contract to exist the parties must intend to create legal relations.

In promissory estoppel there is no requirement for the promisor to unfairly break a promise. ( TRUE or FALSE)
- FALSE, for action for promissory estoppel to succeed, it must be shown that, in the circumstances, it would be unfair or inequitable to allow the party to break his or her promise.

For equitable estoppel to apply parties need not be in a contractual relationship. (TRUE or FALSE)
- TRUE - this is a doctrine that recognises reliance on promises which may not yet be formalised in a contract.

The common law has provided solutions to all situations. (TRUE or FALSE)
- FALSE - this is why we have legislation

In the case of Donoghue v Stevenson the court held that the manufacturers of the ginger beer owed no duty of care to the plaintiff as no contract existed between the manufacturers and the plaintiff. TRUE
- FALSE - they found that a duty of care existed despite there being no contract between the parties, based on the neighbour principal - a "neighbour was anyone who is so closely and directly affected by my act, or failure to act, that I ought reasonably to have them in my contemplation" - Lord Aitkin

Historically, speaking legislation existed in Australia long before common law. The position is the reverse as far as the UK is concerned. (TRUE or FALSE)
- don't know.

The Australia Act 1986 (Cth) was passed in order for the States and Territories to maintain effective control of the Commonwealth.(TRUE or FALSE)
- The Australia Act did away with the possibility of the United Kingdom being able to legislate for Australia, for the it to be involved in Australian government. Don't know whether its more accurate to say that it was passed for Australia to maintain effective control over itself. Not sure whether true or false.

The Executive arm of the government in Australia is entrusted with the task of administering the laws of Australia TRUE
TRUE