NSW Council Restricted Premises Definition - Cafe Different from Food and Drink Premises?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tiaeki

15 May 2015
The council's Local and Environment Plan states that a restricted premises means premises that, due to their nature, restrict access to patrons or customers over 18 years of age, and includes sex shops and similar premises, but does not include a pub, hotel or motel accommodation, home occupation (sex services) or sex services premises
If you are under 18 you can not buy alcohol at a bottle shop - you are restricted in what you can do on the premises. Is a bottle shop a restricted premises?

The same LEP states that a shop means premises that sell merchandise such as groceries, personal care products, clothing, music, homewares, stationery, electrical goods or the like or that hire any such merchandise, and includes a neighbourhood shop, but does not include food and drink premises or restricted premises.
Is there a difference between a food and drink premises and a cafe?

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi Tiaeki,

Is there a copy of the council's Land and Environment Plan available online? I cannot comment on definitions based on the information you have given, I would prefer to read the document myself.

Secondly, why are you asking about this? Are you trying to start a business? If so, what sort of business are you trying to start? A cafe that sells alcohol or a bottle shop?

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi Tiaeki,

What are you trying to do then?
If you are concerned about Woolworths' proposal then it is probably best for you to contact the local council directly.

Tiaeki

15 May 2015
I am seeking an answer to my question to assist in my response to council i.e.
Is a bottle shop a restricted premises?