NSW Shoplifting

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bluebird

13 November 2021
Hi my daughter was caught shoplifting at Kmart. They took her to the back room and asked her to take everything she put in her pram. She took things from Kmart intentionally. But has no previous conviction or even a traffic fine.
They asked her what she wanted to do and She said she would pay for the items but in the end the manager said she had the chance to pay and didn’t.
They took her id and asked her to sign some forms. The prevention officer was really nice and told her it was bad but they were not gonna call the cops. Manager said she knew her but my daughter said she never seen her before. It was not on the local Kmart where my daughter lives. They told her they were not gonna call the cops and they have banned her for a year . If she comes back they would call the cops. If she does it again they would call the cops.
On the way out the POfficer told her they have facil- recognition cameras.
My daughter has through a lot, she has lost her father and grandmother 2 years ago within 2 months, covid hit, it’s not an excuse but she is seeking medical help. She told me she can’t sleep, can function anymore after the event and won’t do it again. But she told me she has a problem with it and needs help.
Questions: are the cops gonna be called? Do they really use facial recognition cameras? Are they going to share the facial recognition around shops? Can she be arrested after the fact? I’m afraid she might have done that before.
Thank you and please she did a mistake. Has admitted she needs help. Hopefully she won’t do it again.
Thanks in advance

DavidI

20 November 2018
Hi my daughter was caught shoplifting at Kmart. They took her to the back room and asked her to take everything she put in her pram. She took things from Kmart intentionally. But has no previous conviction or even a traffic fine.
They asked her what she wanted to do and She said she would pay for the items but in the end the manager said she had the chance to pay and didn’t.
They took her id and asked her to sign some forms. The prevention officer was really nice and told her it was bad but they were not gonna call the cops. Manager said she knew her but my daughter said she never seen her before. It was not on the local Kmart where my daughter lives. They told her they were not gonna call the cops and they have banned her for a year . If she comes back they would call the cops. If she does it again they would call the cops.
On the way out the POfficer told her they have facil- recognition cameras.
My daughter has through a lot, she has lost her father and grandmother 2 years ago within 2 months, covid hit, it’s not an excuse but she is seeking medical help. She told me she can’t sleep, can function anymore after the event and won’t do it again. But she told me she has a problem with it and needs help.
Questions: are the cops gonna be called? Do they really use facial recognition cameras? Are they going to share the facial recognition around shops? Can she be arrested after the fact? I’m afraid she might have done that before.
Thank you and please she did a mistake. Has admitted she needs help. Hopefully she won’t do it again.
Thanks in advance
They will not call the police, as if they wanted to do it, they would have done it already. The main objective is to minimise theft and one effective way is to put fear into the people caught what I mean by that is the facial recognition cameras, I doubt they use it for KMart, but that does not mean they will not call the cops if she enters KMart again. If she does enter that one, most staff will know your daughter and they will call the cops, now if she enters the other locations: there is a possibility that someone who was in the before be there and inform on your daughter, or the first location may send the picture to surrounding locations as it is expected that this is the norm to do (This is my thinking and not from experience). So your daughter should find a way to tackle the bad situation by either talking to people, sport etc... as for shoplifting as you mentioned this is not excuse and the law will not accept it at all.