Welcome to LawAnswers.com.au

LawAnswers.com.au is Australia's #1 Free Legal Aid and Legal Questions Forum. Ask a legal question today!

FREE - Sign Up Now to Ask!

Family Court Orders, Distance and Child Custody

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Robert, 12 May 2014.

  1. Robert

    Robert Member

    Hi everyone, and thanks in advance. A friend of mine is trying to leave her partner (not married) They have been together for 6 years, have two children together (2 and 5 years old) she has tried to leave before but he is very manipulative and makes her feel that she cannot leave. He is not physically abusive to her or the children but it could be said that he is mentally and emotionally abusive to her. She wants to move closer to her family for support but that is 6 1/2 hours away. He is threatening to take her to court, can he stop her from taking the children and moving 6 1/2 hours away? She is the primary care giver. Thanks again, I hope I have provided enough information.
  2. rebeccag

    rebeccag Well-Known Member

    G'day Robert,

    Is there already a parenting plan, Consent Orders or a Parenting Order in place? If yes, then she will have to look at what the Order says. If not, then she might want to make their parenting arrangements legally enforceable by applying for Consent Orders (if they can agree) a Parenting Order (if they can't agree) and it might be worthwhile for your friend to get on the front foot and apply to the Family Court for a relocation order. See the Family Law Courts 'Relocation and Travel' page for detailed information. Most notably:

    "What if you can't agree about relocation?
    If you cannot agree, you can apply to a court for a relocation order to allow you to move. The Court may not grant permission. As with all matters about the care and welfare of children, the Court must consider the best interests of the child.

    What if the other party wants to take the children to another place?
    If the other party wants to take the children away and you do not agree, you can apply for an order to stop the relocation of the children."

    If your friend's ex is verbally/emotionally abusive, then your friend might to raise that as a factor in the relocation order application for why she thinks the move will be in the best interests of the children.

    Hope that information helps.
  3. Robert

    Robert Member

    Hi Rebecca, thank you so much for taking the time, that was a huge help to get started in the right direction. There is currently no parenting plan, Consent Orders or a Parenting Order in place. I think she might need to apply for a relocation order because he definitely won't let her go. Thanks again for all your help.

Share This Page