VIC Are the rules around COVID19 legal? Can the fines and orders be fought in court?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

pierre

10 July 2019
I'll say up front I dislike government interference in our daily lives.

Having said that, this comment is disturbing:

And these are the people who are extremely selfish and have no regard for the health and welfare of others in the community. The government is not enforcing controls because they want to make us all into mindless sheep. They have a genuine concern that many in the community will die, while psychopaths and others fail to see the problem here.

You or anyone else wanting their morning latte, or ski trip to Aspen, need to get over it.

I'd like to put all these people in the one city, no police, no medical services, away from anyone else, and let them do what they like.
I'm sorry Rod, but when you look at the statistics it's hard not to believe there could be another agenda at enforcing these Acts.
Screenshot_20200413-094637_Samsung Internet.jpg
I don't know about you but I remember the fear of Aids by the millions and in less then 5 moths we have 476K deaths from Aids Virus. 12k from half a day die from hunger, 12k in 12hours. So your comment above of they are just trying to do the right things, really makes me wonder, when they still allow the mass production of ciggaretts smokes and as above 1.4million have died in 4 months. I don't see the government really caring for us, since when have they gave a crap.
Now I DID visit the kids grandma yesterday, as it was faster and the kids and I, have done the right thing and stayed home, I even pulled my kids out of school 2 weeks before the term finished. For those like me who are doing the right thing, it does make you question when the W.H.O release a press statement saying this. From the World Heath Organization.
And yes it's you tube but this is real.
So omg, the numbers are dropping but we are infesting the virus now in our houses??
None of this makes any sense to me.
Bio security act was done in 2016 and yet people are angry doesn't matter how much money the government gives to there citizens.
Bottom line is our government should have shut our airport's done many months ago. Instead of letting in 30k studends from China.
Our government have been set up for stuff like this and with there advisors, Australia should had never had one confined case here.
I'd doesn't make sence?? 1.8 million confirmed case world wide with 112k confirmed deaths, does not seem like a pandemic with a population of almost 8 billion people, as more people have died this year from the normal flu virus. The numbers also mean atleast 1.5 million will have mild cases and recover at home. The fact still remains there is no test currently that exactly confirms covered 19 to date, the test confirms only for a corona virus. Apparently everone has some sort of corona in their genetic make up. So with no proper tests of the 112k confirmed deaths of corona virus, 75% of fatalities have only had the strain and has not been the cause of death. It's been proven by the American government, a man gets hit by a bus and dies from internal injurys and has the CV, he is reported on the death certificate as a corona virus death.
With all this information available and people now having the time to access this, I wonder how long will the people obey for Rob? You must take into consideration how these lock down Acts will affect the people doing the right thing, with there buisness and lively hood crumbling away, what kind of marriages will this affect, suicides, depreation and anxiety. With this small percentage in Australia, wouldn't it be easier to quarantine the most valuable? Instead of everone? Quarantine has always been the infected, not the other way around. My neighbor runs a small buisness cloths store, he is struggling but target, Ikea Bunnings, even eb games, all massive corporations are essential, but not small business, sounds crazy to me. The army involved, intastate boarders closed. I can't drive to Melbourne to visit my parents, like we normally do around Easter. I'm sorry Rod but when this somehow comes back to normal, the normal we know will be gone, I can't even imagine what will be implemented next.

Atticus

6 February 2019
I don't know about you but I remember the fear of Aids by the millions and in less then 5 moths we have 476K deaths from Aids Virus.
I also remember the rise of AIDS in the 80's... I also remember the public awareness campaigns that saved the lives of many (possibly millions).... NOT SURE WHAT YOUR POINT IS though? AIDS being not even close to SARS Cov2 in infectivity & how it is spread
For those like me who are doing the right thing, it does make you question when the W.H.O release a press statement saying this. From the World Heath Organization.
I watched this little FOX grab, with the usual misquotes & BS summary at the end .... The DR was referring in particular to the spread in Italy in mid March, where it is custom to have large households of 3 or more generations with age ranges from babys to 100 Y olds... How the spread was (in those cases) among household members, & the *possibility* that in order to control that nature of spread, testing may need to be carried out within households to find sick members & isolate them in a safe & dignified manner... Sounds sensible to me ... FOX SUMMARY .... "Just so you know, we're coming to your house & seizing your children" .... At no time did the DR say forcefully either !

Mate, what part of overwhelming our health system do you still not get after seeing this the world over... Alright for you sitting in (so far) relative safety here in OZ .... Go ask people in Europe or USA if they wish their govt had done more sooner ....
wouldn't it be easier to quarantine the most valuable? Instead of everone?
In case you missed it, we are quarantining the most vulnerable (elderly ) Nursing homes are basically locked down except for staff & Dr's, * everybody over 70 or with a condition that makes them vulnerable are being told theyneed to stay home & self QUARANTINE

you need to stop looking for BS conspiracies, do what we ARE ALL being asked to do for the sake of all... Not being asked t go to war mate ... just stay home unless necessary for a while.... FFS!

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
To second Atticus, they are all but absolutely quarantining the elderly. My father is in an aged care facility. They have one visiting hour per day 3 - 4pm. Only two visitors allowed per day, and only immediate family over the age of 16. Any sign of illness, you’re denied entry. Your temperature gets taken upon entrance, and you need to sanitise your hands and sign a declaration that you’re not experiencing symptoms, been in contact with a high risk person, been overseas etc. From 1 May you must have had your flu shot. Visits can only be in the resident’s room, and you must maintain 1.5 metres distance at all times.

Atticus

6 February 2019
@pierre

Aged care home providers are also at liberty to implement even more harsh measures if they choose .... One major provider in SA has a strict ZERO visitor rule except for end of life situations & then only in residents room... staff & ALL visitors are temp checked, Staff every day at beginning & end of shift .... Residents have been allocated a 'group' consisting of less than 10... That group can not inter mingle with any other group & are mostly confined to their own rooms

That is some quite harsh quarantining, so don't think the elderly aren't carrying some weight during this time

pierre

10 July 2019
I also remember the rise of AIDS in the 80's... I also remember the public awareness campaigns that saved the lives of many (possibly millions).... NOT SURE WHAT YOUR POINT IS though? AIDS being not even close to SARS Cov2 in infectivity & how it is spread

I watched this little FOX grab, with the usual misquotes & BS summary at the end .... The DR was referring in particular to the spread in Italy in mid March, where it is custom to have large households of 3 or more generations with age ranges from babys to 100 Y olds... How the spread was (in those cases) among household members, & the *possibility* that in order to control that nature of spread, testing may need to be carried out within households to find sick members & isolate them in a safe & dignified manner... Sounds sensible to me ... FOX SUMMARY .... "Just so you know, we're coming to your house & seizing your children" .... At no time did the DR say forcefully either !

Mate, what part of overwhelming our health system do you still not get after seeing this the world over... Alright for you sitting in (so far) relative safety here in OZ .... Go ask people in Europe or USA if they wish their govt had done more sooner ....

In case you missed it, we are quarantining the most vulnerable (elderly ) Nursing homes are basically locked down except for staff & Dr's, * everybody over 70 or with a condition that makes them vulnerable are being told theyneed to stay home & self QUARANTINE

you need to stop looking for BS conspiracies, do what we ARE ALL being asked to do for the sake of all... Not being asked t go to war mate ... just stay home unless necessary for a while.... FFS!
Mate,I did say I'm not doing the right thing??
And mate, I don't think a you tube fox artical that I posted warrents me of looking at BS conspiracy.
I thought it was a recent thread and thought it was a concern, If anything this is media manipulation on the public.
Regarding the Aids virus, I was just referring how the public was scared shitless, similar to now, not knowing a thing about the virus at the beginning.
But now it's not a issue that almost 500k have died from it in 5months.
The whole purpose of taking these dramatic actions of lockdown and quarantine, was to not overwhelm our hospitable sector and for the valuable to be safe.
Now it matters not, if you believe the cv Is as bad as they say or not, but the fact is, the stats show the curve is being flattern and hospital's not being crowded. These so called laws should be starting to get slowly lifted in the coming weeks, not being extended. As I said this will effect a lot more soon.
If you do some research, many creditable Doc's are saying, viruses are not living, they form in you from your cells producing a toxin which creates the virus and it can't be spread to one person to another, and the so called germ theory on what it's based on is 150 year old theory. It's proven if 10 guys drink swamp water, not all are going to get malaria, same with the common flu, my brother could have it but the rest of the family does not get it. All I'm saying it's very concerning that our government is making dessions on the unknown, when we are aware that all of these so called virus are patterned, and that means man made.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I recently saw, aptly put: The argument for lifting the current restrictions on the basis that the curve is 'flattening' is akin to saying, "I've finished half of my antibiotics and I feel fine, so I'm not going to take the rest of them."

As for the referenced claims by 'creditable' doctors, it's generally accepted that viruses aren't 'living' - they're their own particular type of thing. However, the notion that they're not communicable and are created inside of you from toxins? Common sense alone would appear to dictate otherwise than such a claim. Find a peer-reviewed virologist who subscribes to the theory and I might give it some credence.

Reactions: Atticus

Atticus

6 February 2019
the fact is, the stats show the curve is being flattern and hospital's not being crowded. These so called laws should be starting to get slowly lifted in the coming weeks, not being extended. As I said this will effect a lot more soon.
We have been very lucky here in OZ... so far.. The threat of community spread is still very real & will remain so until enough testing shows otherwise.... Lifting restrictions too soon would see everything so far achieved undone very quickly.... we could still be a Europe or USA if we did what you are suggesting BEFORE having the proper information, & that needs more time/testing
If you do some research, many creditable Doc's are saying, viruses are not living, they form in you from your cells producing a toxin which creates the virus and it can't be spread to one person to another
Mate, I don't know what DR's you got that from, but apart from being demonstable RUBBISH. it's dangerous rubbish
we are aware that all of these so called virus are patterned, and that means man made.
Mate, sorry, but you are a fool .... Please just put your tin foil hat on, stay home for a while (in the corner if you must) & don't infect other people with your total crap... Good Luck

pierre

10 July 2019
We have been very lucky here in OZ... so far.. The threat of community spread is still very real & will remain so until enough testing shows otherwise.... Lifting restrictions too soon would see everything so far achieved undone very quickly.... we could still be a Europe or USA if we did what you are suggesting BEFORE having the proper information, & that needs more time/testing

Mate, I don't know what DR's you got that from, but apart from being demonstable RUBBISH. it's dangerous rubbish

Mate, sorry, but you are a fool .... Please just put your tin foil hat on, stay home for a while (in the corner if you must) & don't infect other people with your total crap... Good Luck
Ok no worries, not going to try to prove it, if your opinion is tin f

Fool?? Ok mate, no worries. You can look this up.
Not going to add to it anymore, if you believe it's tin foil hattery.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Not going to add to it anymore, if you believe it's tin foil hattery.
Oh, you've chosen to become silent?
That is good news.

Reactions: Atticus

pierre

10 July 2019
Oh, you've chosen to become silent?
That is good news.
I'm sorry Tim, but was that comment really necessary?? Do you have something against me??
I have tried to take yours/ others comment on board and as time goes on this forum, I have tried to learn to respect people's views and to understand that my views that I have accumulated in a short period of time might not be correct. Isn't what this forum is all about?? Your remarks seem to be a direct dig at me personally, and I don't believe I've commented directly at you to warrant that kind of forum attack from you. And to be admin and making these comments seem silly to me as I'm sure if you personally met me, and understand what life challenges throw at all of us, I would at least assume you would understand, who ever you are as a person.
Or is this not in your nature to do so??