VIC Are the rules around COVID19 legal? Can the fines and orders be fought in court?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I'll say up front I dislike government interference in our daily lives.

Having said that, this comment is disturbing:

And I'm starting to see action groups being formed to end the lockdown.

And these are the people who are extremely selfish and have no regard for the health and welfare of others in the community. The government is not enforcing controls because they want to make us all into mindless sheep. They have a genuine concern that many in the community will die, while psychopaths and others fail to see the problem here.

You or anyone else wanting their morning latte, or ski trip to Aspen, need to get over it.

I'd like to put all these people in the one city, no police, no medical services, away from anyone else, and let them do what they like.

04tmeal

12 May 2015
I couldnt disagree more Rod.
You've been tricked mate.
Do you know in Sweden they've virtually NOT locked anything down? They are practicing mild forms of social distancing but that is about it.
Holland too is practising low levels of lock Down.
Neither countries population is being desimated.
In Australia our cases are 97% mild. And thus far 98% of cases recover in full.
Why don't we lock the old and sick down and allow the young and healthy to go about their daily lives?
Why can't I sit on a park bench on my own?
Why can't I go to my mums house but I can go to work with fifteen people in the office, another thirty in the factory and go to the shopping center with hundreds of people coughing and sneezing all up into the AC units and heating?
Once you begin to think about all of the inconsistency of these measures it is easy to understand we are being robbed of our rights by the fear of getting Ill or getting others Ill.

Two videos if I am allowed to post them from two very intelligent and well respected people:

Professor Bhakdi, you can look him up on Wikipedia. He calls the measures collective suicide

Sam Vaknin calls it hysteria and digs into the inconsistency of no randomized double blind study (at the time he made the video, I believe one has been done now and the infection rate was 0.3% but don't quote me on that) again if you don't know who he is you can look him up on Wikipedia.

Would like your thoughts on these.

Last edited:
Reactions: pierre

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Hmm, Sweden you say - half the population of Australia with 9,141 cases of the COVID-19 virus and 793 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University figures.

And according to you this is acceptable.

How about you and the Aspen set ski in Sweden for the duration - both sides are happy :)

04tmeal

12 May 2015
Hmm, Sweden you say - half the population of Australia with 9,141 cases of the COVID-19 virus and 793 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University figures.

And according to you this is acceptable.

How about you and the Aspen set ski in Sweden for the duration - both sides are happy :)
You're being simple and you know it.
Firstly they've come out of winter we're going into winter. Our population density is far far lower than theirs not even worth comparing actually.
Third, critical thinking. In the US they're promoting the listing of COVID19 cases and putting patients on ventilators by way of offering funding through medicare. I wonder if there is anything similar happening in Sweden? Don't believe watch the video of the senator and Dr below.
Lastly these figure fall In line with Swedens annual mortality figure due to influenza and respiratory disease. Hmm.
Thoughts on any of the three videos?

Reactions: pierre

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Sorry, I do not watch Fox news, and will never watch Fox news. Find me a different real news source.

I agree the normal flu kills.

There are differences between the normal flu and Covid-19. Lethality and degree of infectiousness.

Your argument about population density is specious. The rules are about people congregating together, not how far apart they live.

The USA is led by a selfish moron and they are on target for a huge death toll. I have never ever seen people buried in trenches in the USA for a normal flu season.

I don't want the same thing here.

04tmeal

12 May 2015
Sorry, I do not watch Fox news, and will never watch Fox news. Find me a different real news source.

I agree the normal flu kills.

There are differences between the normal flu and Covid-19. Lethality and degree of infectiousness.

Your argument about population density is specious. The rules are about people congregating together, not how far apart they live.

The USA is led by a selfish moron and they are on target for a huge death toll. I have never ever seen people buried in trenches in the USA for a normal flu season.

I don't want the same thing here.
How dare I post a YouTube video to a Fox News piece.
Absolutely ridiculous. Echo chamber?
Stay inside afraid.
The rest of us are going about our business I've been to a friends house, been to my mums for lunch, we've dropped off Easter eggs, my gym is still operating with newspaper on the windows...there are a great many people still living their lives. Brings about a feeling of prohibition.
Anyway. Toodaloo, enjoy hiding. Wimps.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
What about taking the family and extended relatives to visit your gran, or is that tomorrow?

Atticus

6 February 2019
I've been to a friends house, been to my mums for lunch, we've dropped off Easter eggs, my gym is still operating with newspaper on the windows...there are a great many people still living their lives.
Haha .... Yeah righto champ.. If that were true you wouldn't be having a tanty on here like a spoiled brat who's been told by mum he can't have a lolly .... You're the wimp.. Grow up... these measures are necessary.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
This isn’t a forum about “woe is me, this law is an affront to my rights and let’s do something about it”. This a forum for “this is the law, and how do we deal with it?”.

Whether the call that was made to stop all non-essential moving about was right or wrong, is irrelevant. It’s the call that was made. Don’t like it? Get elected and change it. Until you do that, you’re not in charge. Follow the law or risk getting caught and fined. Never the mind the very real possibility that you’re wrong and contributing to the spread of the virus - maybe not you specifically, but those of your ilk.

Never mind that all of the lawyers on here have taken a very serious oath to uphold the laws of Australia. To have a dig at those who refuse to follow those laws is petty and childish.

And seriously, if I was getting my medical facts from YouTube where any asshole with a webcam can spout their infectious insanity, then I’d be questioning the strength of my ability to reason.

Reactions: Atticus