VIC A google revie gone wrong

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JonnoWill

4 February 2023
In December 2023, I attended a bar in Melbourne for our Christmas party, which required an $80 entry fee and promised a complimentary cocktail upon arrival alongside some finger food. The evening didn't kick off smoothly as I missed out on the promised drink, and to my surprise, the bar didn't accept cash, leaving a colleague to cover my drink expenses. The venue wasn't overly spacious, and I was taken aback when our group was merged with another, who seemed jovial but quite inebriated due to their open bar tab.
As the night progressed, the atmosphere remained lively despite people getting increasingly intoxicated. However, the quality of the food was subpar, evident when a heavily intoxicated guest from the other group, in a near-zombie state, vomited in the urinal just as I entered. Seeking assistance from security, I was dismayed when they refused to address the situation, claiming it wasn't their responsibility. I emphasized that this was a paid event, not a standard pub gathering, but they weren't interested, leaving the mess unattended. It was truly an unpleasant experience.

Ok this is the review I left the next morning.

I gave it 3 stars so i didn't give it 1 star because I thought the place had some good points

"The staff provided excellent service throughout the event. However, the organization of the function itself was a bit chaotic. Our group was unexpectedly merged with another on the same level, leading to a cramped space. Surprisingly, they didn't accept cash, which inadvertently saved me a significant amount, considering the usual high markup on drink prices. I'm uncertain how my $80 was spent. Additionally, there was an unfortunate incident where someone outside of our group vomited in the toilets, and it seemed that no one took responsibility for cleaning it up. Despite the challenges, I must commend the outstanding performance of the staff; they truly were the highlight of the night."

Three days after posting the review, I received a call at my workplace from someone intending to file a complaint against me. That night, my manager requested that I remove the review, but I chose not to comply.

Five days later, an email apparently reached one of my other managers stating that I was aggresive. Later that afternoon, my boss approached me, inquiring about the situation and asking if I could take the review down once more. I stood my ground, asserting that the review was entirely truthful. I showed her the review, and she acknowledged that the situation wasn't as severe as it had been portrayed. She further mentioned that an email had labeled me as aggressive, to which my boss responded, stating that my behavior was not aggressive in the least.

My boss had also said that a person on the phone had gotten through to her and said the review was still up and should be taken down. Again mentioning that I was aggressive.

In the end I have plenty of people who will back me up and say I wasn't aggressive. However this has made me feel quite awkard.

I sent off an email to the manager asking for a copy of the email that they recieved I also asked her not to delete any of the emails pertaining to the bar.

I suppose the question is do I have a case?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Maybe.

The new serious harm threshold test is still being worked on by courts and the interim feedback I have is that Magistrates' Court are now not a good venue for smaller defamation claims.

If you'd been sacked as a result you would have a reasonable claim. You may also have trouble identifying the complainant.