Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Australian equivalent of LLC?

Discussion in 'Intellectual Property Law Forum' started by User101, 18 May 2018 at 1:56 PM.

1. User101

User101 Member

Hello everyone. I am starting a dropshipping business soon and was looking to set up a legal entity to protect my assets. But there is no LLC here in Australia, I found LLP which seems similar but not sure if it protects my assets. The items I will sell are generic and not trademarked but it's for a "just in case" scenario, I don't want to deal with lawsuits down the road. What is the equivalent of an LLC here and what is my best option?

2. Rob Legat - SBPL

LawTap Verified Lawyer

Rough equivalence in my understanding is a Pty Ltd company, but from memory there are unique differences.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. User101

User101 Member

Hi thanks, but these are the options I can choose from not sure which one :

Australian Public Company Help - Public company
    Public companies can sell shares to the public to raise funds They can have an unlimited number of shareholders.

Australian Private Company Help - Private company
    Private companies can't raise funds from the public by selling shares. They must have 50 or fewer shareholders.

Co-operative Help - Co-operative
    Co-operatives are owned and controlled by members, and operate for the benefit of their members. For example, food co-ops selling food at a lower price to members.

Other Incorporated Entity Help - Other incorporated entity
    Organisations that are like companies but not incorporated under the Corporations Act 2001 (such as foreign companies and associations incorporated under state acts).

Strata-title Help - Strata title
    Where a title to a property is divided into a number of units for sale.

Public Trading Trust Help - Public trading trust
    Trusts created to finance or get an interest in the operation or development of a business or project.

Other Unincorporated Entity Help - Other unincorporated entity
    Organisations that are formed by a number of people for a common purpose and that aren't registered with any government authorities.

Limited Partnership Help - Limited partnership

4. Rob Legat - SBPL

LawTap Verified Lawyer

A Pty Ltd company is an Australian Private Company. It is a 'proprietary' company, and shareholders' liability is 'limited' to the extent of unpaid shareholding.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. User101

User101 Member

So when I go to register my ABN I choose private company?

6. Rob Legat - SBPL

LawTap Verified Lawyer

No. You register your company through the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC). Once the company is registered you apply for an ABN (and you should also get a Tax File Number from the Australian Taxation Office).

7. User101

User101 Member

Ok thank you.