QLD Bus/Coach - Private Dashcam v. Operator's CCTV

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

coachcapt

1 December 2023
I have a strange interpretive challenge. I privately use a personal dashcam to confirm my compliance and evidence for incidents (front and rear-right traffic only):

1701419085358.png 1701419255488.png

I have been queried by Transport and Main Roads that it is a CCTV system, and as such needs to comly with ALL the requirements of the
(Information Bulletin PT 404/10.14) A recommended code of practice for the use of Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) by operators of passenger transport services and infrastructure.
I have also examined the related Information Bulletins:

Information Bulletin PT 405/09.12 Recommended specifications for Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) fitted in Queensland buses;
Information Bulletin PT 406/10.14 Recommended guideline for the installation and use of Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) in Queensland buses.

I have even looked at the perspective from personalised transport (eg. Uber, Taxis, Limos, etc):
Guidelines for the installation and use of personalised transport security cameras (Updated January 2023).

From what I have gathered, if the Dashcam is solely purposed to monitor traffic and bus operation (with NO recording of the interior, passengers or driver) it does not fit the definition of a CCTV system based on the purpose or mode of operation.
There are no internal privacy issues at risk.

Can anyone please advise regarding this interpretation, and pitfalls or compliance?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I'd be writing back and saying dash cameras (front and rear) are not CCTV.

The definition for CCTV is likely in AS 4806.1—2006, however I do not have access to that standard to confirm the definition.

Seems like typical bureaucratic overreach.

What is at risk here?

Reactions: coachcapt

coachcapt

1 December 2023
I'd be writing back and saying dash cameras (front and rear) are not CCTV.

The definition for CCTV is likely in AS 4806.1—2006, however I do not have access to that standard to confirm the definition.

Seems like typical bureaucratic overreach.

What is at risk here?

coachcapt

1 December 2023
Thanks Rod.

It's mostly posturing with threats of non-compliance towards my employers by not placing signs as per Code of Pratice for CCTV ...

Appropriate signage must exist to inform the public that a CCTV system is operating. This signage should be easily visible to all passengers.

If it is not a CCTV as defined by the legislation (monitoring the interior for the purpose of passenger & driver safety and police investigations/evidence of incidents), the signs are superfluous (and erroneous).

I appreciate everyone's perspective, in case I missed something.

Cheers :)