NSW What are my rights as a buyer of a Defective Private vehicle?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

khott94

27 March 2024
Would like to start, with I'm happy to wear the cost of the repairs of my privately bought vehicle I'm just curious if someone has been in this situation and it worked out in there favour.

Basically i bought a used vehicle privately in Sydney on FB marketplace, the add noted "genuinely never had an issue with the vehicle". After parking the car in my lot i realised that it was dripping oil, i sent photos and videos to the seller and he said " never had any leaks, i don't know what you did with the vehicle since you bought it" i only drove it from his to mine about 20 minute drive. I called the mechanic that last serviced the car and he sent me a document nothing that there was a oil leak starting on the vehicle and the owner was made aware. I sent this to the seller and he still denied there was a oil leak even though i had documented proof.

I understand Buyer beware and if its now my issue so be it, just wondering if someone else in this situation had a positive outcome via refund or repairs paid for, thanks in advance for answering my question.