NSW Waiting for Family Court Final Orders - How Long Until Judgement?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Been2Trial

12 July 2017
As title says, I went to full trial in May/June and I am still waiting for the final orders/judgment to be made. I didn't expect it to happen overnight but we're now 3/4 months after the trial and still nothing?

I am sure the answer is sadly going to be "that's not an unusual time to be waiting for final orders", I was wondering if I could get an idea of realistically how long I should wait before checking 'what's up?'

Thankyou in advance!

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Perhaps it would be worthwhile calling the Family Law Registry or emailing the judge's associate for an update.

It does take time though. The Court is grossly under-resourced for both time and money.

Lennon

11 September 2014
After 3 months it is appropriate to email the Judge's Associate and politely enquire as to the progress of the matter (make sure you CC the other party).

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
And the source of this rule/practice? I am not questioning you with my questioning, just wanting to learn :)

Been2Trial

12 July 2017
Thanks for the responses everyone - I instructed my lawyers and they have done as suggested above now! Fingers crossed for a favorable result soon :)

Lennon

11 September 2014
And the source of this rule/practice? I am not questioning you with my questioning, just wanting to learn :)

For lawyers it is a professional conduct issue.

For unrepresented litigants the source is usually in a practice direction. For example in the Federal Circuit Court, the policy is here Communicating with Judges' Chambers - Federal Circuit Court of Australia
and the specific direction is "In cases of genuine urgency or in the event that consent is not forthcoming within a reasonable period of time, contact with an Associate should be made, in writing, and contemporaneously, a copy of that communication forwarded to each other party/practitioner."

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Hi Lennon,

Ok, lawyers I understand -> professional courtesy <- r 4.1.2 SCR

SRLs on the other hand don't have this duty and to me this seems like an administrative query (checking release date on orders) rather than a substantive query and probably falls outside the policy directive.

Last edited:

AllForHer

23 July 2014
@Rod...

Sure, they don't have to, but the Court has often condemned parties who communicate with the Court without including the other party. You wouldn't think it such an issue that the Court would actually mention it in its decision, but it has, and more than once.