VIC University student late submission of assignment deduction policy question.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

adav6638

15 December 2023
Hi,
I'm a student at RMIT in grad school, early childhood education, and had a large essay due at 11:59 pm yet submitted it exactly 24 hours later and believe I may have failed due to this or poor referencing and citing even though referencing is only worth 10%.
They may have made a rule saying marks deducted every business day, but what about if it is due at 11.59pm?
They (and the whole education faculty) don't specify what the late policy or mark deduction is but the rmit university as a whole has a clear Assessment and Assesment flexibility policy which may include that each day late results in 5 or 10% of the total mark and I have always believed every university has this policy.
I've been a student in many tertiary courses and it has always been this way. I'm also a LLB student with swin online and have failed assessments due to this reduction policy such as getting 2/10 on these assignments and would end up nailing the exams and passing overall whereas unfortunately the rmit education courses I'm in do not have final exams for me to get marks back on.

Can they be this strict? (I've also been a Vet Med and now law student which seem far more important than Education so im confused and sad to say I do not care if I was to get expelled or leave voluntarily as I have these other degrees and courses to fall back onto). Can rmit do this?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You submitted 24 hours late - are you querying whether you should have one day's deduction?

The general interpretation is likely to be deductions for each day or part thereof.

Ask Admin what the appeal process is, query possible dispute resolution processes. It is typically opaque and vague, and so it should be else they could not effectively run courses of many students continually submit late and then try to raise a dispute. Ask the Uni still has a 'Vistor'.

... and have failed assessments due to this reduction policy ...
Reads like you are habitually late. Suggest you learn to do better with deadlines - because in the real world, more so with lawyers, you must meet deadlines else there are serious consequences for both you and your client. You may be dux of the class but if you continually miss deadlines you will not have a job for long.

Can rmit do this?
Yes, and they do so on a regular basis. I suspect the problem is not RMIT. Some self introspection seems warranted.

adav6638

15 December 2023
You submitted 24 hours late - are you querying whether you should have one day's deduction?

The general interpretation is likely to be deductions for each day or part thereof.

Ask Admin what the appeal process is, query possible dispute resolution processes. It is typically opaque and vague, and so it should be else they could not effectively run courses of many students continually submit late and then try to raise a dispute. Ask the Uni still has a 'Vistor'.

Reads like you are habitually late. Suggest you learn to do better with deadlines - because in the real world, more so with lawyers, you must meet deadlines else there are serious consequences for both you and your client. You may be dux of the class but if you continually miss deadlines you will not have a job for long.

Yes, and they do so on a regular basis. I suspect the problem is not RMIT. Some self introspection seems warranted.
I've done it twice which does not fit into the definition of habitually and have never done it in my other courses/unis.
Another question I have here which I have never heard before is them telling us we cannot work part time outside of class because the placements are fulltime commitments, not even allowed to work after hours! Is this legal? I've done many placements in multiple degrees and have never been told this.
The exact message we got was:
Dear students,
Pre-service teachers should not continue outside paid employment during their professional experience. Professional experience is a full-time
responsibility. Requirements cannot be altered to accommodate paid employment.
This statement applies to students that are attending a placement during the day and then are considering undertaking employment in a job in addition to the placement eg night shift work.
How can they do this even when they claim to have no interest loan schemes for students yet when I apply am barred because I work casually which is now not allowed.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
'... should not continue ...'

My interpretation is they are making a suggestion, and providing advice, not issuing a directive. Partly because they will not making any accommodations because of other work committments.