QLD Steps to recover stolen property recovered by police?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Barbie&Kebn

29 August 2023
Early 2022 I was a victim of a burglary.
Only a few items were taken and the incident was reported to the police.
Come March this year and I was doing some online window shopping and came across one of the items in cash converters website.
The item in mention is a handmade vintage diamond ring with a replacement value close to the $6000.

So i looked through my records for the police report.
I gathered some evidence that the ring belonged to me (Receipt, Valuation, pictures of me wearing the ring).
I took this down to the police station and told the officer I had located the ring and provided my documentation.
The officer contacted the station located near the cash converters and requested that someone attend the store and seize the ring.
I was told I would be contacted with an update when there was something to report.

I was under the presumption that my ring would be back in my hands in a few days time.
I was not insured for the loss of the ring so i was more than happy to have it returned however till now it has not been.

I have called, emailed and attended the station a number of times now and keep getting the run around.
last time I attended I managed to get some information from the officer on duty who told me the ring had been seized and it seems to be at the station located near the cash convertors .
He said it seems that no one has been assigned to the investigation as of yet or the ring needs to be send to this station before things can progress.
He also said once that happens the officer may want to keep the ring as evidence to show the court so it may be some time yet before i get it back.

I just want my ring back really.
I was the one that located it I pretty much handed them everything they needed to close the investigation on a silver platter.
Surely they can take photos of the ring and copy of other evidence such as the valuation i have already provided or worst case request that i bring it back when its needed for court.

Who do I need to speak to or what do i need to do to get this back ?

I do i have to just deal with it and wait ?

Thank you LawAnswers members