Scratched Car door on stone pillar - Is it worth claiming?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

evea8571

16 January 2022
I was coming out a parking space in Bunnings and started to turn earlier than I should have due to oncoming traffic. I have scratched all down the side of my car from the rear door to rear bumper. There is one minor dent. I have taken it to a smash repair and they estimated it anywhere from $2500-$3500 and recommended going through Insurance for the cost savings.

My main concern with this is not my excess etc but how much my premimum will increase afterwards. I have the money to pay direct and not do it through the insurance, but if my premium doesn't go up by much then I'd to it throug them. My question is, can anyone advise - who are in the industry - by what percent my premimum is likely to increase?

The smash repairs said to would be 10% for year, but I find this highly doubtful as it seems pretty cheap. For some context, my excess is $1000, and I assume I'd also lose some no claims bonus. I know that no one can give me a concreate answer, I am just looking for some ball park numbers to help me decide either way.

thanks,

Zerojay

12 March 2017
Frankly, the repairer would have no idea - he repairs cars, not administers insurance policies. With car insurance, the future premium penalty for an at fault claim is a reduction in your no claim bonus (NCB) and your insurer can tell you exactly what percentage the change will be. Generally, outside of NCB a single claim does not affect future premiums but a lot of other factors can. In particular in these times of rapidly rising costs you can expect your premium to increase even if you do not claim.
Do your sums based on the expected change in NCB and how many years it will take to return to full NCB; the best repair quote ( not an estimate) and your excess.

I do not give legal advice. Just my opinion based on working for an insurance company for over 20 years (retired).