Postnuptial Agreement

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Spakler

12 April 2023
Good evening,

My partner and I have been married for a couple of years and we've recently had trouble with our relationship. We do not have children together and she entered the relationship with nothing, I had my own brick house and land.

Since the trouble began she has been threatening to take half my house off me, which I know will not happen if taken to court. Problem is I don't want what little savings I have going to legal fees.

She has recently agreed to leaving the house with me if we can't mend our relationship and take what she brought into the relationship.

She has not been honest with me since she moved in and I have no reason to believe she will keep her word.

I've seen some legal kits available for financial agreements on the net and was wondering what would be the recommended kit for my situation.

Kind regards,
B

sammy01

27 September 2015
Do nothing.... Stay calm. But you need to get her out of the house.
See if you try to do any financial agreement, you need solicitors. No financial agreement is water tight... But for it to be close to water tight both parties need independent financial advice.... So she will need to see a solicitor. Solicitor is likely to tell her she can get more.... This becomes the problem...

Oh and if you argue she will have you removed via an avo.... Mate, I was paying the mortgage, I was not allowed to go to the house because of the avo.... She had no interest in changing that dynamic... Living rent free and playing the victim... The fact that you said she has not been honest gives me reason to have concerns for you...

Get her out of the house. Hell, wait for her to leave and change the locks...