WA Please some advice

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Westynorm

10 November 2023
Yesterday I was apprehended by a loss prevention officer for attempting to steal, they said that as it was over $50 I needed to wait for police to attend and took a photo of my id. I fully cooperated but I waited 1.5 hrs and as I explained I could not wait I had to leave as there was no one to collect my kids. I did call the police line and inform them I had to leave. I don’t know what to do now? I have been caught once before years ago and got a spent conviction. Don’t worry I’m disgusted with myself my only excuse is financial pressures. Should I go to the police myself and say that I had to leave the situation and try and sort it out to prevent them coming to my family home? I’m also a professional and worried about a record. I can’t believe I have been so so incredibly stupid. Never again EVER!

sammy01

27 September 2015
What sort of job do you do? It is unlikely to impact your work. I'd suggest you contact the relevant union. I would avoid the police. They are busy, they might just not find the time to pursue it.

Westynorm

10 November 2023
What sort of job do you do? It is unlikely to impact your work. I'd suggest you contact the relevant union. I would avoid the police. They are busy, they might just not find the time to pursue it.
Thanks for the advice. I’m a nurse. Just worried about future police clearances. Such a stupid stupid mistake! The lady who I spoke to on the phone when I said that I needed to leave said to expect a phone call but the loss prevention people were heavy handed. Saying I would be arrested if I left and would possibly face jail time. She said I shouldn’t leave but my kids are only little and I couldn’t leave them on the side of the road.

Hellomyonlyfriend

15 August 2022
Just let it be. You should not be arrested for that. At the worst you will be served a court attendance notice, you would not be placed in custody for a $50 theft.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au