NSW Payment for Induction

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kathy_024

16 November 2021
Hi, I was offered a teaching position in a systemic high school, last year to commence this year. Signed the contract last year and all was good. I received an email last year asking if I could attend a half day induction and a full day this year. Naively, I didn't ask if I was going to be paid. It tirns out I have been told by the Deputy and principal these days are unpaid. I rang Fair Work and they told me the MEA refers to an employee being paid for training. Can someone please clarify this? I find this practice deceitful and obviously not happy about it.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Training days are to be paid.

Real question here is how to handle it without upsetting the employer who then retaliates against you. There is no hurry, you have 6 years to make a claim.

Kathy_024

16 November 2021
Training days are to be paid.

Real question here is how to handle it without upsetting the employer who then retaliates against you. There is no hurry, you have 6 years to make a claim.
Thankyou. I will keep all the documentation and if I remain and when the probationary period ends, I will follow this up again.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Oh, and join you union.