NSW Partner's estate.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Pakoh9

24 April 2024
My partner destroyed his will a few years ago and didn't make a new one. His old will split his estate between his children from another relationship. We were together for over 10 years and just didn't plan these things very well, he had been meaning to change his will for a long time. Right now I am living in his house and was supposed to get letters of administration but just haven't been able do anything because of grief and pre existing mental health issues. We didn't have assets in both our names. I put money in for the car, paid rates and bills, split food costs etc. We did everything together but didn't have friends. Obviously members of our families were aware of our relationship. We didn't decalre our relationship to centrelink because of the previously mentioned mental issues. I was listed as next of kin and partner at the hospital.

My questions are: At least one of his children has applied for letters of administration and has threatened to evict me, can they do that?

What rights of entry do letters of administration give?

How difficult will it be to prove a defacto relationship?