QLD FOI

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Clapton

26 November 2015
Melbourne
Is it possible to obtain the transcript of a phone conversation you were told was being recorded by a service provider? If so, what body would you apply to?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The context is important here.

Start by asking for the recording from the Service Provider. It would be up to you to arrange a transcription.

Clapton

26 November 2015
Melbourne
Thanks Rod. The company won’t take my calls or answer emails which is why I was wondering about FOI.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
What is the organisation's name?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Smallish private company. Right to Information Act 2009 replaced the FOI act and doesn't apply. Same with the Information Privacy Act 2009. These laws relate to information held by government agencies.

If you are thinking of suing the company, then possible preliminary disclosure MAY be available as an option.

Clapton

26 November 2015
Melbourne
Thanks Rod. I'm unsure where to start with this. Briefly, I had a wage theft matter with this company which was paid for back in 2020. Along the way they decided I had a discrimination case as well which has already been resolved and I received a payout. In the meantime they let the statute of limitations expire on the main part of the wage theft claim, which totalled approximately $30,000. I was calling and emailing them constantly about this for about 8 months until I finally got a call from someone who claimed to be doing the company and me a favour by taking over my matter. He advised that a Form 13A had been filed with the Victorian Magistrates Court for the wage theft matter, When I asked about the expired part of my claim this person became abusive and hung up on me. I later received an email saying they didn't have time to act for me. I replied, asking for a copy of the document filed with the Magistrates' Court but have not had an answer.

I'm not sure what area of law this would fall under and so don't know where to start looking for a lawyer to help me with all of this. Are you able to point me in the right direction?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
I'm a litigation lawyer and also practice employment law.

It is possible you signed a deed of release in 2020 that precludes any further action. Suggest calling me this afternoon for a quick chat to see if there is any scope for legal action.

Clapton

26 November 2015
Melbourne
Hi Rod,

just saw your message. I clicked on the link to make an appointment however got an error message. I’d really like to have a chat about this if at all possible.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Call our office on Monday after 11am, or Tuesday and ask to be put though to me, quoting this message. I'm not nominally available on Monday so the office won't put your call through unless you can justify the call, hence you needing to refer to this message saying I have approved.