Extra duties - employed as Instructor, they want to use me as IT practitioner

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

miguel

30 May 2018
Hello

A couple of issues.

I work for a multinational conglomerate providing instructing services to a huge govt. department.

I am employed as an IT instructor. I have several formal quals in IT.

Issue 1:
Now 8 months in they tell me they want me to service and maintain the customers IT equipment. Absolutely nothing in the employment docs, advertisements or awards about this. I think the govt. department employs a public servant to do these tasks but he doesn't want to. I think my employer doesn't want to rock the boat and risk the contract so they just tell us to do this work.

Issue 2:
A part of the job is the requirement to get a teaching qual. They tell us to get the qual 'in our own time' but do not pay wages for this extra time. I believe this is wage theft.

Questions:
I'm seriously considering taking industrial action on the basis that the job instructor is fundamentally different to IT practitioner. I've research other similar scenarios and zero of them have their instructors also servicing and maintaining the equipment.

If I take them to FWO, what's the likelihood of my success?

Any tips of how to proceed?

Regards
Migz.