VIC De facto separation rights

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lico

9 May 2024
I have quite a general question, as I have only just decided to separate from my defacto of fifteen years. We have 2 children together, both with special needs (albeit relatively low level but enough to impact my ability to return to work since having them). I didn’t bring a great deal of savings to the relationship despite a great career that would have increased in terms of income had I kept working. My partner bought our property and home and we had the kids soon after. He has continued to work and bring in a lot of money, but I have not. I have raised the children and taken care of the home as well as our large property, including when he as away for several years working.
What am I entitled to after separation? We have a lot of property, shared between us in terms of names on titles. He has control of all our money and it is all tied up In his business. Getting a job may be difficult for me as juggling the kids and work will not be easy, although 2-3 days will be manageable. What would be fair and reasonable?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
You may find some helpful material here, and more generally, here.

Lico

9 May 2024
Thanks Tim, I had read those but was hoping for a bit of a summary from someone as they don’t really answer the question I’m asking. - where one partner contributes most things financially over time and the other all the care. I’m a bit lost

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
A starting point is 50/50 of the assets acquired during the relationship.

Then you apply a whole range of factors to vary the percentage.

Without a detailed understanding of your finances and personal situation you won't get any better estimate from an online forum. Suggest you give us a call to see how we can help you.

Check out my signature.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
I agree with @Rod .

Also, know to expect to be told something in the ballpark of
that you brought nothing, so you'll leave with nothing.
That.Is.Not.True.

Last edited:

Lico

9 May 2024
Thankyou! This is the basic information I was after to start my thinking / planning.