NSW can lot owners personal info be shared with the purchasers solicitor without consent?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

EmmaG

4 March 2018
I serve on the commitee of a strata and one of the lot owners is selling. the purchasers solicitor has contacted the strata manager and asked for the contact details of all other lot owners which they promptly provided and the solicitor is now seeking to chat with each of them prior to settlement.

A strata search report was provided to the purchaser already and I find this very odd that the strata manager has provided access to our details without consent of the committee nor other lot owners.

Surely this is a breach of privacy as the strata roll or contact details of lot owners should not be shared with any third party without consent.

The solicitor has also directed the strata manager to cancel a strata meeting that had been planned for months and the strata manager appears to be taking directions from the a third party and not seeking advice from the commitee.

Is this permitted?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
1. Have a read of this.
2. I'm not sure why a buyer's solicitor is giving directions ("orders") to a managing agent.
Unless of course the lotholder they represent now controls majority of the lots,
and you're about to get forced out under the 75% rule.

EmmaG

4 March 2018
thanks, the agent acted in the best interests of a third party and not the strata and we are dumbfounded at the behaviour. there is no majority control at all but they appear to be somewhat of a loose cannon.