NSW Australian Consumer Law - Car with Major Issues

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
1 January 2016
I purchased an LX Diesel Captiva 7 seater II series all leather vehicle in Oct 2012 and have had three major breakdowns, to which the dealer has fixed under warranty with some pressure from Australian Consumer Law. The first was 12 months in...the second was a month ago.

Today, my car is disabled in my driveway with the third major fault (just had NRMA check it out) ... I feel really deflated with paying cash for this vehicle which I adored, and now have zero trust and security in... let alone the brand.

Great start to a new year...not !!

S

Sophea

If the car is still under warranty then the dealer is obliged to honour it and fix your vehicle under warranty. Car dealers are also required under the Australian Consumer law to guarantee that their vehicles are of acceptable quality.

Check out this article on the Australian Consumer Law regarding vehicles. Lemon Car? What You Can Do Under Australian Consumer Law - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au

What you are entitled to at law, depends on whether the issues are considered a major failure to comply with the obligation to ensure acceptable quality or a minor one. If its a major failure you can get a refund or compensation for the difference in the value of the product you purchased and what you actually got. Dealers are required to rectify issues that are considered minor failures.