VIC Theft from Kmart

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

user098123

18 May 2024
I found out today my partner has been caught stealing from Kmart, they have CCTV footage and police came to the door to talk to him about it. They've asked him to come to the station later in the week to discuss it. It was months ago the offence took place. He immediately admitted to doing it and had no idea Kmart had identified him as stealing until today. What will happen when he goes to the police? Is he likely to get a huge infringement, need to go to court? I feel sick about it and so does he. It was very stupid thing to do. I didn't know it happened until today.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
He doesn't have a choice to go talk to them does he?
Yes, he does have that choice.
I do not see where he can be compelled to be interviewed on this allegation.
Especially if he has not actually been arrested.
Frankly, if he's been caught, then he's probably not somebody
who can handle himself unassisted in a police interview.

Before he does anything, he should take himself to a lawyer for case specific advice.
If that's not an option, then at least, get him to a Community Legal Centre Centre,
for some legal "first aid".

I sense a bit of a back story here.

MDaB

10 November 2022
I disagree with the previous comments. I would suggest going to the police station or run the risk of being arrested when not so convenient. Like at work!