VIC What does it mean when a Business wanted me to withdraw complaints against them and in return they give me small amount.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ksivasub

6 September 2023
Hello everyone,

A real estate business owes me a significant amount, $150k.
Recently, their real estate agent approached me to withdraw my complaints filed against them with government bodies.
In return, the real estate business proposes to pay me a smaller amount of $50k. Upon successful withdrawal of the complaints, they say they will pay the remaining $100k in mid-2024, although the exact dates are not confirmed.

I have a question about the real estate business's approach. What could be the possible reasons for this proposal, and what does it mean?

Are they tricking me?
I am concerned that accepting this offer might result in receiving only $50k, and there's uncertainty about receiving the remaining $100k, even if they provide it in writing.

It's worth noting that the real estate is responding to the complaints I raised with government agents using their lawyer.

I appreciate your guidance. Thank you.

Kind regards,
Siva.