Fence Question

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JonnoWill

4 February 2023
I got a new neighbor a couple of months ago, and shortly after he moved in, a storm damaged our fence. The insurance company declined to cover the repairs, so I left it as is. About six months later, he subdivided the land and wanted to build two units on the property, requiring a new fence.

His partner delivered a letter stating their intention to install a new fence and the estimated cost. A week later, he texted me, saying they'd put up the fence and that I could pay by the end of the year. I agreed to this arrangement.

However, not even 20 days after they erected the fence, he's asking for his money. I reminded him of our agreement, which allowed me until the end of the year. I also expressed my surprise at the urgency, emphasizing that his bill wasn't a top priority he said it was rude of me that I hadn't attempted payment.

He wanted cash
Now Im thinking an invoice and money in his bank account.

I dont mind paying him, however his text are becoming more hostile.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I reminded him of our agreement
Hopefully in writing. If not, put it in writing.

Tell him to back off with hostile threats, and again remind him of your agreement.

Then post back here if he is continuing to harass you.

JonnoWill

4 February 2023
Hopefully in writing. If not, put it in writing.

Tell him to back off with hostile threats, and again remind him of your agreement.

Then post back here if he is continuing to harass you.
Thanks for the reply. It could be because he has sold the house. what I'll do is post the text messages. threatening might have been a bit over the top but ill let you judge for your self.

From 1 to 3.

Let me also say I am going to pay. and as I stated the fence was not an expense i was willing to prioritise money for.

Thanks again

jon

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 3